Sunday, September 21, 2008

Speaking with students -

On Friday, I had the honor of speaking with the Government class at Machias Memorial High School. She had invited my opponent and I, as well as the publisher of the Machias Valley News Observer. This has been a friendly, respectful campaign, and my opponent and I have turned up many places together since June.

Students had questions, and our answers weren't high-falutin', what's-wrong-with-state-government-today. Our answers were more about ways that young people (these are 16- and 17-year-olds) could relate to state government and local issues. We talked about the coming winter, and how even they could help their elderly neighbors - by helping install winterization kits, or even shoveling their driveways.

The local paper has invited the students to report on the two candidates coming to their classroom, so that should be in this week's paper.

No comments: