Saturday, November 15, 2008

Destination: Dixville Notch

Lucky us. Three days after my election loss, Frank and I decided to leave town and head for places where we had not been before.

Appropriately, we chose Dixville Notch, New Hampshire -- home of the midnight vote, first in the country every four years to disclose its presidential inclinations. We spent a weekend away, first in New Hampshire and then in Vermont. Can't think of a better way to shake off the disappointment of losing.

The draw was the Ballot Room at the Balsams, the grand old resort most famous (besides its culinary school) as the site of the Ballot Room. That's where the 21 voting-age residents of unincorporated Dixville Notch gather each Election Day -- and it gets plenty of national coverage every four years.

With our curiosity satisfied, we crossed the state line again, this time into Vermont. Montpelier, Burlington, Rutland and White River Junction were our destinations. Home by Sunday evening -- but I can't say that I've shaken off my disappointment. If only I had knocked on more doors ... :-)

No comments: